VANGIBATH RICE | BADANEKAYI ANNA recipe is a quintessential rice dish in Karnataka. If you like brinjals or Vangi or Badanekayi then you will relish this rice dish. Vangibath rice requires Vangibath powder or a masala powder that you add while cooking the brinjals and then finally cooked rice is mixed to make a delicious rice dish. Vangibath rice can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s a very nice lunch box recipe and can also be prepared for guests and during festivals. Its best eaten as is or with cucumber raita.
VANGIBATH RICE | BADANEKAYI ANNA
PREP TIME: 10M; COOK TIME: 15M; TOTAL TIME: 25M; SERVINGS: 3
- 1 cup rice or 2 cups of cooked rice
- 4 medium badanekayi/vangi/brinjal/eggplant
- 4 -5 TBSP oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- little Hing/asafoetida
- 1 TBSP urad dal
- 1/2 TBSP channa dal
- few curry leaves
- little turmeric powder
- 3 TBSP Vangibath powder(recipe available)
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 2 Tsp Tamarind juice
- salt to taste
- 2 TBSP shredded dry coconut optional
- Wash and cook 1 cup of rice (Sona Masoori rice) and spread it on a plate so that the rice grains won’t stick to each other.
- Wash and cut the eggplant 1½ inch long length wise. Keep the cut brinjal in water to avoid discoloration.
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a thick bottom pan. Once it is hot enough, add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, add the dals. Fry it until it turns golden brown. Add hing in the end, followed by turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Squeeze the water from the cut eggplant and add it to the seasoning and mix it.
- Cover it and cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- After 5 minutes add salt and tamarind juice and mix it. Cover the brinjals and cook it for a few more minutes.
- Now add the home made vangibath powder(click on the link for the recipe), jaggery and grated dry coconut. Mix it well and leave it on low heat until the oil leaves the palya/mix.
- Now add the rice, mix it gently.
- Cover the Vangibath and leave it on low flame for another 5 minutes so that the rice sets with the masala.
- Turn the heat off and enjoy the aromatic Vangibath that you made with our original Vangibath powder with papads, or raita .
BISIBELEBATH OR BISIBELE HULIANNA is an authentic Karnataka preparation. It is a wholesome food and tasty too! Bisibelebath is prepared by mixing cooked vegetables, dal, rice and spices. The right proportion of the above ingredients gives a tasty output. I already published the recipe on how to make the Bisibelebath masala powder to make Bisibelebath. Bisibelebath or Bisibele hulianna can be prepared for lunch or dinner. It can be garnished with Boondhi accompanied by raita. South Indian weddings and festivals are incomplete without Bisibelebath on the menu. Bisibelebath can be prepared when guests come easily if you have the masala powder ready. Bisibelebath could also be your Sunday brunch. There are ready made branded powders available but it is always nice to make your own.
BISIBELEBATH|HOW TO MAKE BISIBELE HULIANNA RECIPE
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINS; COOKING TIME: 15 MIN; SERVINGS: 4
AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 1 CUP TUR DAL
- 500 GMS RICE SONA MASOORI
- 500 GMS MIXED CUT VEGETABLES LIKE POTATOES, BEANS, CARROTS, PEAS, CAULIFLOWER, CAPSICUM
- ¼ CUP PEANUTS
- ½ TSP TURMERIC
- 1 LEMON SIZE BALL OF TAMARIND
- 2 TSP. JAGGERY
- 1 SPRIG CURRY LEAVES
- 1 TSP. MUSTARD SEEDS
- 2 TBSP OIL
- ASAFOETIDA OR HING
- SALT TO TASTE
- 3 TSP. BISIBELEBATH POWDER
- In a pressure cooker, cook the dal with the vegetables and a pinch of turmeric. In another container cook rice also in the same pressure cooker. Meanwhile soak the tamarind in ½ cup water.
- After the pressure comes down, put a big, thick bottomed vessel to heat on stove. To this add the oil and mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds splutter, add hing and the curry leaves. If you want add some cashews and fry for a few minutes.
- To this add the cooked dal, vegetables mixture.
- Add the salt, jaggery, bisibelebath powder and tamarind extract and mix well.
- After it boils add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and the bisibelebath powder or masala according to your taste.
- Simmer and cook this authentic Karnataka Bisibelebath for a few minutes.
- Serve it with ghee and boondhi on top, accompanied by tomato-onion raita. Papad or potato chips go well with Bisibelebath. Enjoy this with friends and family!