Puliogare Gojju or Hunase gojju is a thick, spicy sauce made out of tamarind pulp, jaggery, rasam powder, dry coconut powder and other spices. Other roasted and powdered spices like jeera, pepper and methi enhance the aroma and taste of this sauce. The roasted peanuts seasoning in peanut oil adds finishing to this spicy, out-of-the world sauce. The sauce can be stored in the refrigirator and used to mix with rice to make Puliogare rice. Puliogare rice can be a lunch box item. It is made during festivals, weddings and gatherings in South India. It can be eaten by itself or with some yogurt or curd.
PULIOGARE GOJJU RECIPE| PULIOGRE GOJJU|HUNASE GOJJU
PREP TIME: 5 HRS(INCLUDES SOAKING TAMARIND); COOK TIME: 45 MIN; TOT TIME: 5HRS, 45M APPROX;
Making puliyogare gojju/Hunase gojju:
- 3/4 cup tamarind
- 3 cups Hot water
- 1 cup Jaggery powdered/use organic powdered jaggery to taste
- 5 to 6 tbsp MTR Rasam powder/Home-made Rasam powder
- 2 tbsp salt or to taste
- 4-5 TBSP. White sesame seeds (roasted and powdered)
- 3/4 cup Peanut oil
- 2 TBSP chana dal
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
SEASONING FOR THE PULIYOGARE RICE :
- 4 TBSP Peanut oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- ½ tsp Chana dal
- 2 Red chillies (broken into pieces)
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 15 to 20 curry leaves
- 1 -1/4 cup Raw rice (Cook in water before mixing sauce)
- 4 TBSP of Puliyogare Gojju
- 3 to 5 tsp of Masala/ Spice powder
FOR MAKING SAUCE/GOJJU:
- Wash and soak the tamarind in boiled water for 3 to 4 hrs. Soaking it overnight also works.
- Squeeze the pulp and sieve it into a thick big pan.
- Keep the kadai or pan on the burner and let it boil on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, roast the sesame seeds,cool it and then powder it, keep it for later use.
- After 10 minutes of boiling, the pulp begins to become thick.
- Now add Jaggery, rasam powder and mix well.
- After ten minutes of cooking on low heat, add salt and the Seasame or Til powder, let it boil for few minutes.
- Finally add the peanut oil and mix well. Let the sauce simmer on low heat till the sauce glistens for about another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cool the gojju or sauce completely before storing in a dry container in the refirgerator.
How to make the Masala/Spice powder:
- Roast the chana dal until the dal turns golden brown. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Next roast black pepper, and jeera on a medium flame. Allow it to cool, then put all the three ingredients into the grinder and powder them.
Mixing of Cooked Rice & Puliogare Gojju or Sauce:
- Cook rice in advance and cool the cooked rice in a big bowl. The rice grains should be separate and not sticking to each other.
- After it cools, mix the 3 TBSP of Puliyogare Gojju and mix it evenly.
- Heat peanut oil on medium heat in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Next add urad and chana dal and fry it until the dal turns golden brown.
- Put peanuts and fry it till it becomes crunchy.
- In the end add red chillies, curry leaves and turn off the heat.
- Add 3-4 Teaspoon of masala/spice powder to the seasoning followed by 3 – 4 Tablespoons of Puliogare Gojju and mix well.
- Transfer this gojju-seasoning mix to the cooked rice in the bowl and mix well with your hand.
- Leave this rice aside for half an hour and enjoy the spicy Puliogare Rice in your dabba/lunch.
NOTES: Cook the sauce on low heat and stir it often to avoid burning.