Guacamole recipe is a Mexican Avocado dip made with the fruit Avocado also know as Butter fruit in India. It is a simple dip that is prepared with soft avocado pulp, finely chopped onions, lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt with some chilly. Its a very delicious dip that you can prepare for a party or a late evening snack with some Nacho chips.
GUACAMOLE RECIPE – MEXICAN AVOCADO DIP
PREP TIME: 10 Mins; TOTAL TIME :10 Mins;SERVINGS :2-4
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 onion, (finely chopped)
- 2 small green chili (finely chopped)
- 1-2 pods garlic (finely chopped or crushed)
- 1 tomato deseeded (finely chopped )
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- a few chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- black salt (or rock salt optional)
- Cut the avocado into two. Remove the seed first.
- Remove the ripe pulp with a spoon into a bowl and mash it well.
- Mix it with the rest of the chopped ingredients, salt and lemon juice.
- Chill the dip for an hour if possible.
- Serve the guacamole dip topped with toasted bread or nachos.
Raw Mango Chutney Recipe is a tangy chutney made out of raw green mangoes, red chilies and fenugreek seeds. Since summer is here mangoes are availabe in plenty. Jaggery is added to balance the sour taste of mangoes. Mango chutney goes well with dosa, akki rotti and can also be eaten with plain rice. Also check out my Mavinakayi chitranna or Mango rice recipe.
RAW MANGO CHUTNEY RECIPE
PREP TIME:10Mins; COOKING TIME:5 Mins; TOTAL TIME :15Mins;SERVINGS : 6
- 1 medium sized unripe raw mango (peeled & chopped or grated)
- 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
- 5-6 Methi seeds
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 Tbsp Jaggery or Sugar
- salt (as required)
- 1/2 Tsp. Mustard seeds
- pinch of hing
- 3-4 Tsp. oil
- Rinse the mangoes well then dry them with a kitchen towel
- Peel and chop them into small pieces or grate it.
- Heat a kadai with 1 teaspoon of oil in it.
- Add the red chillies fry on medium heat.
- After a minute add the Methi of Fenugreek seeds and fry till brown.
- Grind the cut mangoes, methi seeds and red chillies along with jaggery and salt. Do not add any water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds for seasoning. After it splutters add hing and the ground mixture in it.
- Fry the chutney on a low flame for a minute. Taste and adjust the salt and sweet content.
- Serve it with Dosa, idli or roti, rice.
- Refrigerate unused portion for later consumption.
HUMMUS is a thick paste or spread made from ground chickpeas and sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, made originally in the Middle East, Mediterranean, Egypt. It is an accompaniment to Pita bread, finger chips, tortilla chips, falafel etc. It is a healthy dip and you can serve it at parties or when you are looking for a healthy snack eat it with pita bread which you can buy at grocery stores. The chickpeas must be ground into a paste when it is quite hot as the skin disintegrates only when hot. Hummus provides a good source of protein to vegetarians. It is high in fiber and has a low glycemic index so a good option for diabetics. Hummus is gluten, diary and nut-free and is easy to add to your diet. Spread it on top of your pita pocket, sandwich or wrap instead of mayonnaise.
HUMMUS RECIPE – CREAMY DIP OR SPREAD MADE FROM WHITE CHICKPEAS.
PREP TIME:5Mins; COOKING TIME:25Mins; TOTAL TIME :30Mins;
- 1.5 cups dried white chickpeas, (soaked in water for 8 to 9 hours and then cooked till soft)
- ½ cup olive oil, (add more if required)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder ((jeera powder))
- ½ cup roasted and powdered white sesame seeds (or ½ cup tahini)
- a few sprigs of parsley (or coriander leaves (cilantro))
- salt as required
- Roast the sesame seeds and then powder these finely.
- Take the cooked chickpeas, all the spices, parsley, salt and garlic in a blender.
- Add the powdered sesame seeds, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Serve the hummus with warm pita bread garnished with a few sprigs of parsley