MANGALORE BUNS are deep fried banana Puris/poories. In Mangalore,Karnataka it is served for breakfast. Mangalore buns are sweetish as banana and sugar are added while making the dough. In recent times all Udupi hotels in Bengaluru have started serving Mangalore buns in their menu. If you are looking for a change in the weekend, try this recipe and serve it with coconut chutney. Note: The dough has to rest for 6-7 hours before making the puris.
MANGALORE BUNS RECIPE
PREP TIME: 15 MINS; COOK TIME: 30 MIN; TOT TIME:45MIN
- 2 Ripe medium sized Robusta bananas
- 3-4 cups maida or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup curds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- any refined oil for deep frying
- Grind the peeled bananas, sugar, curds and salt to a paste.
- In a big bowl add 3 cups of wheat flour, baking soda and cumin seeds.
- Add the ground banana mixture to it and make a smooth dough.
- Add flour and make a tight dough.
- Pat a little oil on top of the dough and cover it with a muslin cloth.
- Let it rest at room temperature for 5-6 hours. If its for breakfast make the dough the previous night.
- To prepare the Mangalore buns the next morning, heat a kadai or wok with oil to deep fry the buns.
- Gently roll the dough and make sure it doesn’t stick to your hands. Adjust the dough consistency by adding more flour to it.
- Next divide the dough into medium sized balls as for puris.
- Roll each ball out with a little flour into thick, round disc’s.
- Arrange the rolled discs on a newspaper side by side.
- Test the oil if its hot enough by adding a small dough piece into it.
- Fry the disc’s or puris one at a time.
- Press the puri gently with a spoon to make it fluff up.
- Cook the puris till they turn golden brown in color.
- Serve hot Mangalore buns with some coconut chutney.
Upma mainly is a South Indian dish which has become popular throughout the world and it makes for a good and filling breakfast. Upma is an easy recipe to make as well as easy on the pocket, the main ingredient of the dish being semolina (coarsely ground wheat). The dish is considered to be very healthy as it contains very little oil. The dish of Upma is also good for weight loss. 1 Cup of Upma has 322 calories (Total fat 6g, Sodium 480g, total carbs 59g, Protein 11g ). Below is the simple recipe of Upma:
- Semolina 1 cup
- Veggies such as onion, carrots, Lima beans, potatoes, capsicum, tomatoes finely chopped, peas etc. to make 1 cup
- Choppechilieschillies – 2 or 3 small sized
- Chopped Ginger – 1/4 inch
- Finely chopped Coriander – 1 sprig
- Fresh grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Oil/ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin 1 tsp
- Asafoetida 1 pinch
- Urad bean 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4-5 leaves
- Cashews halved – 1 tbsp
- Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- In a heated sauce pan, lightly roast Semolina until it changes to a light brown color and gives out a roasted smell. Pour it out onto a dry plate and allow to cool.
- To the same pan add 1/2 tbsp oil/ghee and allow it to heat up (about 1 min). Now add all the seasoning ingredients starting first with mustard seeds, cumin, black gram, peanuts, cashews in that order. Wait for the mustard seeds to crackle and then add Asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped ginger, green chillies followed by onions. Saute for 1 minute and add the remaining veggies and 1 tbsp coconut. Saute again for about 1 minute and add 1 and a 1/2 cups of water and salt. Bring to a boil, simmer it to medium heat and then cover to let the veggies cook for a few minutes.
- After the veggies are cooked, remove the cover and stir in the sugar. Now lower the heat further and start folding in the roasted and cooled semolina slowly while stirring constantly.
- Cover and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Garnish with the remaining coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
Breakfast is an essential part of everyone’s life. Some days the same old Upma, bread toast or idli-dosa might get boring. Pancakes are a good alternative. I have used “Betty Crocker” Original mix for making pancakes. I have made pancakes out of this mix many times and my son loves it.
PANCAKES WITH BANANA AND NUTS RECIPE
Prep time: 10 mins; Cooking time: 5 mins; Servings: 2;
Author: Lakshmi Bangalore
- 1 Cup Betty Crocker Pancake mix
- ½ cup water
- 1 big banana
- 1 tbspn. butter
- 2 tbspn. Walnuts
- 1 tbspn. American sweet syrup
- Add water to the ready-made Betty Crocker pancake mix and mix well until a medium-thick batter is formed. Adjust the water that you add and see that you get a good consistency of the batter.
- Meanwhile cut the banana into slices. Cut the walnuts into small pieces and dry roast them on a low flame. Keep them aside.
- Heat a pan on a medium flame. Apply some butter on it. After the butter melts add a ladle full of batter on the pan. Let it cook till golden brown.
- Turn onto the other side and cook for half a minute. Make one more pancake.
- Add butter to your liking.
- Remove it on plate and add banana, walnuts and top it with the sweet syrup of your choice. Add an extra dab of butter and whipped cream for an extra rich taste. Serve it hot.
Egg Omelette with bread toast makes a healthy breakfast option. Breakfast is an important meal of the day. Eggs are a good choice for breakfast as they are not only healthy but also easy to prepare. With a few ingredients you can make a masala omelette in no time. A boiled egg can be prepared in ten minutes. Other popular egg preparations are scrambled egg, deviled egg, egg masala and egg curry. Eggs could be added to noodles, fried rice, biryani and is widely used in baking. Eggs have 6 grams of high-quality protein and a protein packed breakfast helps sustain an individual’s mental and physical energy throughout the day.
Egg Omelette could be enhanced with diced capsicum, mushroom, onion, green chillies, coriander and grated cheese.
EGG OMELETTE RECIPE
PREP TIME: 10 MINS; COOKING TIME: 8 MINS; SERVINGS: 2-3;
AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 3 MEDIUM EGGS
- 1 SMALL ONION
- ½ tomato
- 1 GREEN CHILLY
- SALT & PEPPER
- Break 3 eggs into a bowl and beat it till even for a minute.
- Cut the onions and tomato finely. Cut the chilly and coriander.
- Add salt and the above cut ingredients to the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Keep a pan on medium heat and add a few drops of oil to it after it heats.
- Pour half of the beaten egg mixture to the pan and let it cook.
- After it starts browning, turn it over and cook the other side for a minute.
- Make another omelette with the other half of the egg-veggie mixture.
- Serve it with toasted bread slices.
NOTE: To make a rich omelette add sautéed mushroom, grated cheese and while cooking add half a teaspoon of butter instead of oil.