Ondelaga Soppina Chutney or Brahmi Chutney is prepared like any other coconut chutney and it adds variety to your everyday breakfast. Brahmi or Ondelaga in Kannada is a medicinal herb well known for various health benefits. Brahmi improves IQ levels and mental concentration in children. One can prepare tambuli, raita, chutney, dal using Ondelaga leaves. Here is an easy and tasty Ondelaga chutney recipe.
ONDELAGA SOPPINA CHUTNEY | BRAHMI CHUTNEY
PREP TIME : 10M; COOKING TIME :5M; TOTAL TIME : 15M;
SERVINGS: 2-3; AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 30-35 fresh Brahmi leaves or Ondelaga leaves
- 5 tbsp cup grated coconut
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 2-3 red chillies
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp. jaggery powder (optional)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash the ondelaga leaves in water very well and keep it aside.
- In a small pan, heat 1/4 tbsp oil on medium heat. Fry 1/2 tbsp urad dal and wait until it turns golden.
- Add red chillies and fry for about a minute and turn off the heat.
- To a blender add Ondelaga leaves along with fried chillies, ural dal, coconut, ginger, salt , jaggery, water and grind it to a coarse consistency.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl and squeeze half lemon juice to it. Mix well.
- Heat oil in the same pan, once hot add mustard seeds and wait till it splutter.
- Add the remaining Urad dal , fry till its golden and turn off the heat.
- Add the seasoning to the chutney. Serve this healthy chutney with roti, chapathi or rice.