Bhindi fry|bendekayi palya|okra fry is a north Indian dish prepared with bhindi stir fried with minimal spices and grated coconut. This is a simple everyday dish made with onions, tomatoes and mild spices. Bhindi is high on nutrition and flavor which is loved by everyone. Bhindi fry is spicy and flavorful which is a perfect side dish for phulka, chapathi or rice. Alternately, bhindi fry or bendekayi palya can be prepared without onions and tomatoes with coconut gratings, tamarind and seasoned with mustard and red chilly.
BHINDI FRY | BENDEKAYI PALYA| OKRA FRY
PREP TIME: 10Mins; COOKING TIME: 20Mins; TOTAL TIME: 30Mins
SERVINGS: 4; AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 500gm okra or bhindi
- 1/4 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. amchur powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 Onion
- 1 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. coconut grating (optional)
- few curry leaves
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the okra well and pat them dry with a cloth.
- Cut off both the ends and chop them into half inch pieces. keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a heavy based pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- To this seasoning add curry leaves, and slit green chillies, onion and fry till translucent.
- Next add tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped bhindi and saute it on medium heat continuously.
- Add amchur powder and fry the bhindi well for about 5 minutes till they shrink and is no more slimy.
- Add turmeric powder, little salt and fry until done.
- Pour a tablespoon of oil to the center of the pan and add chili powder & garam masala powder to the oil.
- Mix it well with the bhindi and saute for 2 minutes till the raw smell of the chilli goes away.
- Add grated coconut and season with salt. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the tasty bhindi stir fry with phulka, chapathi or rice.