Steamed Kothambari vada recipe is a Maharashtrian dish that can be served for breakfast or as a snack. The two main ingredients in this recipe are gram or besan flour and coriander or cilantro. I have added dill leaves for added flavour. You can add methi as well. The peanuts and till or sesame seeds gives it a distinct taste. Serve it with green or tamarind or date chutney for accompaniment. As it is steamed it is a healthy dish and it is easy too. It adds variety to your breakfast.
STEAMED KOTHAMBARI VADA ARE CRISP AND TASTY CORIANDER STEAMED FRITTERS.
PREP TIME:10Mins; COOKING TIME:20Mins; TOTAL TIME :30Mins;SERVINGS :2 to 3
- ¼ cup roasted crushed peanuts
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 4 green chillis
- 2 cups coriander leaves
- 1 cup dill leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 cups gram flour or besan
- 1 to 1.25 cups water
- Mix together all the ingredients with water to form a smooth and thick batter.
- Apply oil at the base and sides of a steel bowl.
- Add the batter mixture in the bowl.
- Cover it with a lid and steam it in a pressure cooker.
- Steam the batter for 15 minutes on a medium high flame.
- Turn off flame and leave it to come to room temperature.
- Remove it from the cooker. Insert a knife or toothpick and if it comes out clean, the vada is cooked well.
- Cut it into squares and remove the steamed cake on a tray.
- Heat a pan and shallow fry the vadas till they are cripy on both sides.
- Serve kothambri vada hot with green chutney or tamarind chutney.