IDLI – Idlis are soft, steamed dumplings which are prepared commonly for breakfast in Karnataka, Tamil nadu and Kerala. Idlis are so healthy that babies and adults can eat them for breakfast with no second thoughts. Idli batter is thick in consistency and is made out of coarse rice grains and urad dal or black lentils that are soaked and ground together and left to ferment overnight. Each steamed idli contains around 39 calories making it a healthy choice for a meal.
IDLI|HOW TO MAKE SOFT IDLI
Prep time: 20 mins; Cook time: 15 mins; Total time: 35 mins
(Plus soaking time: 5 hours; Fermenting time: overnight/10 hours)
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram dal)
- 2 to 2 .5 cup idli rava/idli rice
- 1 tsp Methi/fenugreek seeds
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup avalakki / Poha
Additionally we need :
- Grinder or mixer
- Idli plates
- oil to grease the idli mould
For making Idli Batter:
- Wash and soak urad dal, avalakki or poha, methi seeds or menthya in enough water for 5 hours.
- Wash and soak Idli rice in a different vessel for 5 hours.
- Grind the urad dal along with the soaked water into a fine paste.
- If you are using idli rava, add it to the urad dal paste and mix well in a big container.
- The idli batter should not be too watery.
- Now transfer the Idli batter to a big vessel and add salt. Mix well using a ladle or your hands.
- Cover the vessel with the lid and let it ferment overnight or more in a dark, warm, dry corner.
NOTE: If you are using whole dosa or idli rice, then you have to grind it coarsely and mix it with the ground urad dal to make the idli batter.
How to make idli:
- Grease the idli plates or moulds with oil.
- Beat the fermented batter with the ladle and pour it on the greased idli plates.
- Place the prepared idli stand in the cooker and steam cook this for 10 to 15 minutes. (While steaming do not put the cooker weight instead put a steel cup to cover the cooker lid).
- Turn off the heat and after few minutes remove the idlis from the mould using a knife or spoon.
- Enjoy the hot idlis with sambar and coconut chutney