Hesaru bele kosambari or moong dal salad is an authentic salad made from soaked moong dal and other vegetables. Kosambari is a traditional name used for salads in Karnataka which is an integral part of all auspicious occasions. This simple, refreshing salad is an excellent source of protein and I recommend you try having this for morning breakfast or evening snack. This dish similar to the maharashtrian salad called Moong dal koshimbir is combined with grated carrot, chopped cucumber,grated coconut and seasoned with green chilly and mustard seeds.
HESARU BELE KOSAMBARI |MOONG DAL SALAD
PREP Time: 2 hours; COOKING TIME: 5Mins, TOTAL TIME:2Hours 5Mins
SERVINGS: 2-3; AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal or hesaru bele
- 1 small cucumber peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Wash the moong dal thoroughly and soak it in water for about 2 hours.
- Drain the water completely add the soaked dal to a mixing bowl.
- Add grated carrot, chopped cucumber, grated coconut to the mixture.
- In a small pan, add 1 tsp oil and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pop, add green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the tempering to the mixing bowl & mix well.
- Add lemon juice to taste and salt as required. Serve the healthy salad garnished with coriander leaves.