Dal palak is a healthy Indian curry which is a combination of protein rich lentils or dal and iron rich spinach. We can prepare dal palak with moong dal alone or toor dal alone but it tastes the best when made combining moong dal, masoor dal and toor dal.This kind of dal is perfect for kids and adults who do not eat greens. Dal palak is made across the country with slight variations and is served with chapathi or roti or rice.
DAL PALAK | SPINACH IN DAL GRAVY | SPINACH DAL
PREP TIME:10Mins; COOKING TIME:20Mins; TOTAL TIME:30Mins
- 1/4 cup Toor dal or split pigeon peas
- 1/4 cup Moong dal or green gram
- 1/4 cup Masoor dal or red lentils
- 2 cups palak or spinach
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds or jeera
- 1/4 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 red chili
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 green chilies
- few sprigs of coriander leaves
- 2 cups of water
- 4 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Take all the dals in pressure cooker, wash them thoroughly for 2-3 times.
- Add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 3 whistles until dal is cooked soft.
- Mash the dal and keep aside.
- Wash palak leaves well and finely chop them. Keep aside.
- Finely chop the onion, tomato, green chilies, coriander leaves and grate the ginger.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan add cumin seeds and wait till they sizzle.Add grated ginger and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onion, green chili and curry leaves.Saute till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add chopped tomato,saute till they turn mushy.Add chopped spinach, fry for about 3-4 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- Add cooked mashed dal and 1 cup of water. Let it boil.Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- In another pan, heat 1 tbsp oil add mustard seeds and let it pop. Add 1/4 tbsp cumin seeds, add broken red chili and saute for a minute. Pour the tempering to the dal mixture.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve the healthy delicious dal palak with rice or chapathi.