Lemon rasam recipe is a spicy hot and sour recipe made with lemon, ginger, chilies and coriander. Eaten with steamed rice or can make it watery to drink it as shorba or soup in the evening. Lemon rasam has tur dal, lemon juice, coriander for flavour and to add to the spiciness I have added pepper, cumin and green chillies. The turmeric and coriander gives it nice color and makes it inviting. The lemony taste makes it very refreshing to eat with hot rice. If you have flu or if you need a change from eating regular rasam, lemon rasam should be on your to do list. As everyone knows lemon is rich in Vitamin C and hence is good for your immunity.
LEMON RASAM RECIPE|HOW TO MAKE LEMON RASAM
PREP TIME:15 MINS; COOK TIME:10 MINS; TOT TIME: 25 MINS; SERVINGS:4
- 1/4 Cup Tur dal
- pinch of Turmeric
- 2-3 sprigs coriander leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 garlic pods (optional)
- 4 pepper corns
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. oil or ghee
- few curry leaves
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 pinch hing or asafoetida
- 2 red chillies
- 3 tsp. lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Rinse the tur dal or broken pigeon peas, add enough one and a half cups of water, a pinch of turmeric, a dot of oil and cook it in a pressure cooker.
- Let the dal cook for 5 whistles. After it cools down, mash it and keep it for further use.
- When the dal is cooking, cut the coriander, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, garlic and squeeze out the lemon juice and keep them aside.
- Grind coriander leaves, ginger-garlic and green chilies coarsely.
- Heat a vessel for seasoning and to boil the rasam. Add little oil and when it heats up put mustard seeds in it. Let it splutter.
- When it starts spluttering add hing and the broken red chilies.
- Lower the heat and add the ground coriander masala paste to it. Add little water and let it boil.
- When it starts to boil add the mashed tur dal, salt and curry leaves and let it boil.
- After 5 minutes turn the heat off and add the lemon juice.
- Taste the rasam and add salt, lemon juice or water to suit your taste. Eat it with hot rice.
- If your are serving it as soup make it more watery and do not add curry leaves.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP RECIPE is a simple and straight forward soup. The ingredients you need are tomatoes, basil, garlic and some salt and pepper. Any evening you want a light meal, you can make this soup. If you have excess of basil lying around you could add it to the tomatoes to make the soup. Tomato Basil soup along with some garlic bread will make a sumptuous appetizer for your family and friends.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP RECIPE
PREP TIME:10 Mins; COOKING TIME:15 Mins; TOTAL TIME :25 Mins;
SERVINGS :2-3; AUTHOR:LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 1 tsp butter or ghee
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 2 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium Tomatoes (chopped)
- 6 Basil leaves
- few coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp pepper (crushed)
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cream (Optional)
- Heat butter in a pan on medium flame and saute onion, crushed garlic and bay leaf till onion is translucent.
- Next add tomatoes, bail and salt.
- Saute for a minute or till tomatoes change colour.
- Add ½ cup water, cover and boil till tomatoes turn soft.
- After 10 minutes remove the bay leaf and cool the mixture.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste without adding any water.
- Sieve the tomato paste discarding the residue.
- Add more water adjusting the consistency of the soup.
- Boil the soup and add 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp salt followed by corn starch diluted in little water.
- Mix well making sure all the spices are combined well.
- Next, turn off the flame and add 2 tbsp cream (0ptional) and mix well.
- Finally serve the tomato basil soup garnished with coriander leaves.