Hesaru bele kosambari or moong dal salad is an authentic salad made from soaked moong dal and other vegetables. Kosambari is a traditional name used for salads in Karnataka which is an integral part of all auspicious occasions. This simple, refreshing salad is an excellent source of protein and I recommend you try having this for morning breakfast or evening snack. This dish similar to the maharashtrian salad called Moong dal koshimbir is combined with grated carrot, chopped cucumber,grated coconut and seasoned with green chilly and mustard seeds.
HESARU BELE KOSAMBARI |MOONG DAL SALAD
PREP Time: 2 hours; COOKING TIME: 5Mins, TOTAL TIME:2Hours 5Mins
SERVINGS: 2-3; AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal or hesaru bele
- 1 small cucumber peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Wash the moong dal thoroughly and soak it in water for about 2 hours.
- Drain the water completely add the soaked dal to a mixing bowl.
- Add grated carrot, chopped cucumber, grated coconut to the mixture.
- In a small pan, add 1 tsp oil and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pop, add green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the tempering to the mixing bowl & mix well.
- Add lemon juice to taste and salt as required. Serve the healthy salad garnished with coriander leaves.
Hi! I am posting a DELICIOUS FRUIT SALAD RECIPE FOR LUNAR ECLIPSE today. Yesterday was Chandra Grahana or Lunar Eclipse. It was unusual as the moon came very near the earth and it turned red and eventually bright and also it was the second full moon day hence a super moon, a blood red moon and a blue moon together in almost 150 years! In India it’s a huge astronomical event and the Hindus who are religious follow some customary rituals such as taking bath after the grahana or eclipse, not eating cooked food during the eclipse etc. So here is a fruit salad that is a sumptuous food by itself.
FRUIT SALAD RECIPE BY LAKSHMI BANGALORE
SERVINGS: 2; TIME TAKEN: 15 MINUTES
- 2 CRISP APPLES
- 1 MUSAMBI
- 1 ORANGE
- ½ CUP WHOLE MOONG SPROUTS
- 1 TBSP POMOGRANATE
- 1 BANANA
- ½ PAPAYA
- 1 TBSP HONEY
- 1 TBSP ROASTED WALNUTS
- 1 TBSP DRY GRAPES
- CHAAT MASALA
- Remove the skin of the Musambi or sweet Orange and Orange. Separate the pulp from the seed and the skin. Put it in a big salad bowl.
- Cut a Pomegranate and remove the seeds. Put one tablespoon of pomegranate in the salad bowl.
- Add the washed and cleaned Moong sprouts.
- Dice some papaya and slice a banana and add them to the salad bowl.
- Cut the Apple into small pieces. Remove the skin if you do not want it but I recommend that you keep it on. Add it to the super salad bowl.
- Mix the fruits well. Add the honey and chaat masala and again mix well. Sprinkle the roasted walnuts and dry grapes and serve immediately. Enjoy!