HUMMUS is a thick paste or spread made from ground chickpeas and sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, made originally in the Middle East, Mediterranean, Egypt. It is an accompaniment to Pita bread, finger chips, tortilla chips, falafel etc. It is a healthy dip and you can serve it at parties or when you are looking for a healthy snack eat it with pita bread which you can buy at grocery stores. The chickpeas must be ground into a paste when it is quite hot as the skin disintegrates only when hot. Hummus provides a good source of protein to vegetarians. It is high in fiber and has a low glycemic index so a good option for diabetics. Hummus is gluten, diary and nut-free and is easy to add to your diet. Spread it on top of your pita pocket, sandwich or wrap instead of mayonnaise.
HUMMUS RECIPE – CREAMY DIP OR SPREAD MADE FROM WHITE CHICKPEAS.
PREP TIME:5Mins; COOKING TIME:25Mins; TOTAL TIME :30Mins;
- 1.5 cups dried white chickpeas, (soaked in water for 8 to 9 hours and then cooked till soft)
- ½ cup olive oil, (add more if required)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder ((jeera powder))
- ½ cup roasted and powdered white sesame seeds (or ½ cup tahini)
- a few sprigs of parsley (or coriander leaves (cilantro))
- salt as required
- Roast the sesame seeds and then powder these finely.
- Take the cooked chickpeas, all the spices, parsley, salt and garlic in a blender.
- Add the powdered sesame seeds, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Serve the hummus with warm pita bread garnished with a few sprigs of parsley