Kiwi Fruit juice is a tangy, salty-sweet juice with a lot of flavor. Kiwi fruit is rich in Vitamin C, K, E, folates, potassium, fiber and is a good source of antioxidants. It has small black edible seeds inside and a fuzzy brown skin that needs to be removed before eating it.
KIWI JUICE RECIPE
PREP TIME: 5 MIN; TOT TIME: 5 MIN; SERVINGS: 1
- 1 kiwi fruit
- 1 Sugar
- pinch of Salt
- 3/4 Cup water
- ice cubes
- Wash the Kiwi fruit and cut it cross-wise.
- Scoop out the flesh with a sharp spoon.
- Put the kiwi flesh into a blender and blend well with half cup water.
- Meanwhile, add salt and sugar as required.
- Adjust the water content and sugar as per your taste.
- Serve it in a glass with ice-cubes.
Tea is not considered as just a drink in India rather it is an ’emotion’. There are varieties of teas available in all over India. But what attracts me the most is the Lemon Iced Tea which I consider to be the perfect dose to get rid of any on-going stress in life. Lemon Iced Tea is the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness of lemons to quench the thirst in an evening after work. It is a cold drink and the basic ingredients are already mentioned in the name.
Lemon Iced Tea not only provides a refreshing boost rather it helps to soothe stress by providing several minerals. It keeps you hydrated and boosts your antioxidants as well as chills the nerves which ultimately results in an absolute relaxation mode. It is also researched that Iced Tea helps one prevent cancer with the help of flavonoids it contains.
For diabetic patients, unsweetened Iced tea is recommended to stabilize the blood-glucose levels. Also, there’s good news for people who are on their diets as this drink is considered to be one of the low-calorie drinks available which are super easy to use. The unsweetened version of this drink when combined with a proper healthy diet and regular exercise can actually help a person to lose weight. Per serving of Lemon Iced Tea contains 140 calories (Fat- 0g, Sodium- 75mg, Carbohydrates- 38g, Protein- 0g)
LEMON ICED TEA RECIPE
PREP TIME: 10 MINS; COOK TIME: 10 MINS; SERVINGS: 4;
- 5 Cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of black tea leaves
- 1/2 cup of sugar or 3 sugarfree tablets
- 1 whole lemon
- ice cubes, as required
- few thin slices of lemon for garnish (optional)
- Pour 5 cups of water in a pan and let it heat in medium flame
- When the water comes to boil, add black tea leaves, let it boil a bit to add the flavor
- Switch off the flame after 1min or so and then add sugar or the sugarfree tablets, stir well
- Then squeeze the whole lemon into the pan and stir well again and cover the pan for some time to add a bit more flavor to it
- Now, strain the pan into a glass jar which can handle the heat and let it cool down to room temperature
- While serving, add the cubes of ice as required and the thin slices of lemon
- You can also add some mint leaves to maximize the flavor (optional)
Lassi is known to be a very popular and conventional yogurt-based drink which originated from the Indian Subcontinent. The texture of Lassi is of creamy and frothy which is made by blending the yogurt with water and various fruits to add an extra bit of texture.
Here, we are only going to talk about the basic and traditional way to make lassi and the oomph factor can always be maximized by adding other flavors to it. It has its roots in Punjab, India. Mainly, there are two types of Lassis: One is sweet in taste and the other is salty. The base remains the same which is the curd, but the variable factors are sugar and salt depending on what you want it to taste like in the end, sweet or salty.
Lassi is basically cool in nature because the curd is cold when blended and it is a typical drink which Indians go by in summers. Lassi not only taste fantastic and refreshing but it also has its power of nutrition. As we all know that curd is good for digestion and it helps to increase the metabolism in our body.
One cup of lassi approximately contains 230 Cal (Protein 8.45g-33.8 cal, Fat 9.11g-81.99 cal, Carbohydrate 29.31g-117.24 cal)
Including lassi in the diet of one’s everyday routine keeps acidity and other gastrointestinal problems in check.
PREP TIME: 10 MINS; SERVINGS: 4;
- 1 cup fresh curd
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 6 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp salt
- Blend sugar + curd + milk + salt in a liquidizer.
- Crush ice-cubes, divide it into 4 portions and put into 4 glasses.
- Pour the lassi over the ice cubes.
- Serve chilled.
NOTE: Add few almonds and a bit of Kesar to enjoy an extra bit of nuttiness in it. Adding a fruit such as a mango, grapes or banana can also be tasteful as well as beneficial to the body.
Lemonade is considered as one of the most refreshing drink which helps one get through summers. Lemons are easily available throughout every season and a dash of it can make any food to taste a lot better and it is cheap too! Lemonade is such a refreshing drink that it will not only quench your thirst, it will add to your nutrition value too.
Imagine, you are walking down the street under the scorching heat of the sun, what is that one thing that you will be craving for the most? The answer lies in the picture itself. No wonder, you are thinking to have some for now. And guess what? It is the easiest to make as well.
Lemons are low in calories and carbohydrate and rich in vitamin C. One whole lemon contain around 17 calories, 1.6 g fiber, and 50 percent of your daily needs of vitamin C. Typically, the calorie intake from lemons is negligible because a small amount of lemon juice is used as opposed to eating the whole fruit.
Refreshing Lemonade Recipe
PREP TIME: 5 MINS; SERVINGS: 2;
- 6 medium lemons, should yield about 1 cup of juice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar (can be adjusted by +/- 1/4 cup to taste)
- Juice the lemons on a citrus reamer. Rolling the lemons on the counter with moderate pressure prior to juicing will result in more juice from each lemon. Try to keep out the seeds. If you prefer lemonade with no pulp, strain the juice to remove it.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water. Heat may be helpful if using a large amount of sugar.
- Combine the juice and sugar water in a pitcher. Stir well.
- Chill or serve over ice cubes.
NOTE: You can add mint leaves on the top of the drink which will further increase the refreshment factor.
“Rich Mango Milkshake” is a recipe to die for this summer! Mango season is here and the variety of mangoes available here in Bangalore is numerous. But the king of mangoes Alphonso or Badami catches my eye every time. I took two beautiful alphonso mangoes that were available in my kitchen. You can use Raspuri or Malgoa variety also for this recipe. Avoid using sugar as the mangoes are sweet enough and moreover, I am using Mango ice cream to blend with the mango puree. Rich Mango milkshake makes for an easy morning breakfast or a late evening drink. This satisfies your palate and your tummy equally.
According to Mango.org, 1 cup of Mango=100 calories; it is fat free, sodium free and cholesterol free. Mangos are rich in fiber, vitamin C, B6 and folates making it a super food.
RICH MANGO MILKSHAKE RECIPE|MANGO MILKSHAKE WITH ICECREAM RECIPE
PREP TIME: 5 MINS; COOK TIME: 10 MINS; SERVINGS: 2;
AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
• 2 ALPHONSO MANGOES
• 1 CUP COLD MILK
• 2 SCOOPS MANGO ICE CREAM
• A FEW SAFFRON STRANDS
1. Wash the mangoes and take the pulp out.
2. In a grinder, add the mango pulp, milk and two scoops of mango ice cream. I used a local brand; you can use any mango ice cream. Even Vanilla ice cream goes well with ripe, sweet mangoes.
3. Churn this mixture and pour them into two glasses.
4. Garnish with a few saffron strands. Your Rich Mango Milkshake recipe is ready to serve.
NOTE: If you need more servings, just add extra cold milk and increase the number of ice cream scoops when you blend the fruit in the grinder.
Belada hannina panaka | Belada hannina juice|Wood Apple Juice
Belada Hannina Panaka or Wood Apple Juice is a sherbet made during ‘Ram Navami’ festival. In Kannada Wood Apple is known as Belada hannu. It has a hard, woody outer shell that needs to be broken with a hammer like a coconut. Inside there is brownish pulpy fruit with seeds. The pulpy fruit of the wood apple is then mixed with water, jaggery and cardamom and strained to get a delectable juice. Wood apple juice or Belada hannina panaka has medicinal benefits according to Ayurveda studies. It is used as a treatment for nausea, vomiting, to cut phlegm, as an antidote to some poisons and also to quench thirst during the dry spring-summer seasons. The Wood apple tree is native to India and Ceylon.
BELADA HANNINA PANAKA|BELADA HANNINA JUICE|WOOD APPLE JUICE
PREPARATION TIME: 10; COOKING TIME: 0; SERVINGS 5-6
AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 1 BELADA HANNU/WOOD APPLE
- 4-5 TBSPN. JAGGERY POWDER
- 5 GLASSES OF WATER
- PEPPER POWDER (OPTIONAL)
- 4 CARDAMOMS
- Break open the Belada Hannu or Wood apple and scoop out the fruit into a bowl.
- In a bowl take jaggery, add 4 tablespoons of water and melt it on the stove. Add this to the belada hannu. Add water and mix this mixture nicely with your hands.
- Strain this fruit and jaggery mixture into another bowl. Add pepper and cardamom powder. Chill it in the refrigerator before serving.
Note: Belada hannina panaka or juice is served on the Ramanavami festival day along with Neer Majjige (watery buttermilk) and hesarubele kosambari (green gram dal salad).
FIG SAPOTA MILKSHAKE
Fresh Fig Sapota Milkshake recipe is very easy to make and highly nutritious. Instead of skipping breakfast make this milkshake and drink which gives you a boost of energy.
According to foodfacts.com, figs are high in fiber and a good source of several essential minerals, including magnesium, manganese, calcium (which promotes bone density), copper, and potassium (which helps lower blood pressure), as well as vitamins, principally K and B6. The nutritional value of figs increases when they’re dried. A half-cup of fresh figs, for instance, provides as much calcium as one-half cup of milk, but a single dried fig contains almost as much calcium as an egg. Whether fresh or dried, figs contain powerful antioxidants.
Fresh figs have come to the market. I had never bought fresh figs but this time I got tempted to try. I didn’t regret it. I thought it will have worms but I didn’t find any! Dried figs also can be used but you need to soak them in warm water for an hour before you grind it. I added Sapota to it as I had it but it is optional. You need to add cold milk and vanilla essence which gives a nice aroma to it. You can also add saffron/kesar and or cardamom to it. Fresh Fig Sapota Milkshake is a nice summer morning drink for children also. It becomes an energy drink for them after their football practice in the evening.
FIG SAPOTA MILKSHAKE RECIPE
AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE SERVINGS: 2-3
- 6 RIPE FRESH FIGS
- 1 SAPOTA
- 2 CUPS COLD MILK
- 2 TBSP HONEY
- 2 TSP. BROWN SUGAR(OPTIONAL)
- ½ TSP. VANILLA ESSENCE
- Wash the figs and Sapota/Chikkoo in water and pat dry. Cut them into big pieces.
- In a grinder add figs, sapota, honey, sugar and vanilla essence with little milk.
- Grind it. Add the remaining milk and pulse grind the ingredients till they are mixed well.
- Serve it chilled.
I was watching “PaakaShale” (a cooking show) on Suvarna TV, and the guest Ayurveda Doctor Dr.Gowri Subramanya was showing how to make an interesting healthy bottle gourd juice. Dr.Gowriamma as she’s known was showing a mixed vegetable health drink or a veggie drink. My ears and eyes became sharp and I sat through this episode and imbibed what she was lecturing. She was making a drink from bottle gourd, ridge gourd and cucumber that she added to the buttermilk. I thought this was different and eagerly watched it. This drink is good to increase vitality in men and is very good for women with hormonal problems. It acts as an antioxidant and gives one vitality and energy. I tried this health drink, veggie juice or healthy bottle gourd juice at home and thought that it’s a good weight loss drink that’s also nutritious. A glass of masala buttermilk mixed with this juice extract will taste good and fills your stomach so it becomes your dinner accompaniment.
I researched on the web and www.healthbenefitstimes.com /bottle gourd gave very good info on bottle gourd or calabash that it’s a good anti-oxidant, rich in Vitamin B and C, fiber and zinc.
Ridge gourd or Luffa also has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and weight loss properties. Next, I found out that cucumber is actually a fruit! We all know that it is great in salads and it has lots of water content and vitamins. Especially in summer eating cucumber helps you in hydration. It’s ideal for weight loss as it has high fiber content and low calories.
To enhance the flavour use hing and coriander in this healthy bottle gourd juice.
How to make Healthy bottle gourd juice|Veggie Drink
Prep time: 15 mins; Cooking time: 10 minutes; Servings: 2
Author: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- ½ Cup Bottle gourd( with skin)
- ½ Cup Ridge gourd(with skin)
- ½ Cup cucumber ( with skin)
- 1-1/2 Cup Plain buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Hing or Asofoetida
- Wash and cut the bottle gourd, ridge gourd, cucumber and coriander leaves.
- Grind them with 1 cup of water and strain.
- Add buttermilk, salt, hing and coriander. Drink this on an empty stomach in the morning or substitute this drink for dinner. A simple and healthy bottle gourd drink for two is ready.