Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe is a North Indian recipe prepared with ladies finger, Onions and it is mildly spiced with cumin, coriander, amchur and red chilly powder. This recipe goes well with roti, dal-chawal.
BHINDI DO PYAZA RECIPE
PREP TIME:15Mins; COOKING TIME:20Mins; TOTAL TIME :35 Mins; SERVINGS :4
- 400 grams okra (bhindi or lady fingers)
- 2 large onions
- 1 Big Tomato
- 2 green chillies
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder/amchur
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 4 tablespoons oil or ghee
- salt as required
- Wash the bhindi in running water, pat dry in a kitchen cloth and allow it to dry completely.
- Next chop the bhindis into half inch pieces.
- Cut one big onion into big pieces and another onion into small pieces and keep them separately.
- Chop the tomatoes and slit the green chillies. Cut the coriander to garnish in the end.
- Grind the tomatoes, green chillies and ginger.
- In a pan or wok, add one tablespoon of oil or ghee.
- Add the chopped bhindis and saute them on a medium flame till the bhindis start changing colour or till they are three fourths cooked. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan add little oil and put big diced onions and fry till they turn translucent. Keep it aside in another bowl.
- Add the remaining oil into the pan. Put the small, cut onions and fry them on medium heat till they change colour.
- Next, add the tomato puree and fry till well cooked. If the base is turning dry, add 2-3 tablespoons of water and cook for a minute.
- Next add the red chilly powder, cumin and coriander powder and fry for sometime.
- Add salt followed by amchur powder and mix all the spices well.
- Turn the heat to low and finally add the fried bhindi and onions that you had kept aside.
- Lastly add the garam masala powder, mix and dish it out into a bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Bhindi Do Pyaza with rotis or phulkas.