Avalakki payasa is an easy dessert recipe which is prepared using beaten rice or flattened rice, milk and sugar or jaggery. When one wants to make a dessert quickly for festivals or happy occasions, then avalakki payasa can be chosen as it is very easy to prepare. Avalakki payasa can be made with either sugar or jaggery, but I have made it using jaggery. This kheer is simple to make, tastes delicious and can be served after meals.
AVALAKKI PAYASA | AVAL PAYASAM | POHA KHEER
PREP TIME: 5Mins; COOKING TIME: 15Mins; TOTAL TIME: 20Mins
SERVINGS: 3-4; AUTHOR: LAKSHMI BANGALORE
- 1 cup avalakki or poha
- 3 cups boiled milk
- 8 tbsp Jaggery
- 7-9 cashews
- 5-6 raisins
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tsp ghee
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, add cashew pieces and fry till they are golden brown. Add raisins, saute for 5-6 seconds & transfer both to a bowl.
- To the same pan, add 1 tsp ghee, add the avalakki and fry for a minute till you get a nice aroma. Fry continuously over medium flame.
- Pour milk to the pan and let avalakki cook until soft. Keep stirring and ensure it is lump-free.
- In another bowl add 2 tablespoon water and jaggery and boil till the jaggery melts.
- Strain the above jaggery syrup into the boiling avalakki and mix it.
- Add cardamom powder and turn the heat off.
- Garnish the delicious Avalakki payasa with fried cashews and raisins.
- Serve Avalakki payasa warm or cold after a good meal.