Appehuli|Maavinakayi Saaru|Raw Mango Rasam is a digestive tangy juice prepared from raw mango, green chillies. We generally eat the sour mango with salt and chilli powder. But this is a “Malnad” or North Karnataka preparation that is simple and can be served as an appetiser. Mango has Vitamin C and is packed with anti oxidants that help in lowering blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
APPEHULI|MAAVINAKAYI SAARU|RAW MANGO JUICE
PREP TIME:12M COOK TIME:3M; TOTAL TIME: 15 M
- 1 MEDIUM RAW MANGO(Thothapuri or Omelette variety)
- 1-2 GREEN CHILLIES
- SALT TO TASTE
- JAGGERY TO TASTE
- PINCH OF ASAFOETIDA
- 1/2 TSP MUSTARD SEEDS
- 1 RED CHILLY
- 1/2 TSP OIL
- CURRY LEAVES A FEW
- 1/2 LITER WATER
- Wash the mango and peel its skin. Grate it with a grater and transfer the pulp to a grinder.
- Grind mango pulp, green chilly, hing, jaggery, salt into a paste by adding sufficient water.
- Strain this mixture in a big bowl.
- Do steps 2 and 3 for two more times till you get a light juice and throw the remaining pulp.
- Adjust the salt and sweet content as per your taste buds.
- For seasoning add mustard seeds into half teaspoon of oil. Let it splutter.
- Add the red chilly and curry leaves after turning the heat off.
- Stir it a few times and transfer it onto the mango juice.
- Enjoy the Appehuli saaru or Maavinakayi saaru or Raw Mango juice as an appetizer.